Mr Parma Nand is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon based in Auckland with clinical appointments at Auckland City Hospital as well as private consults at the MercyAscot Hospital. He performs a range of adult cardiac and thoracic surgery, adult vascular surgery, adult cardiac and lung transplantations, and ventricular assist device implantation.
After completing his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery at the University of South Pacific/ Sydney University, Mr Nand completed fellowship training at the Freeman Hospital in England, Toronto General Hospital in Canada and Westmead Hospital in Sydney.
Mr Nand has contributed to a range of publications and research and is affiliated with a variety of society memberships.
Mr Nand volunteers his time and expertise leading a mobile cardiac surgery team as charity missions to Fiji and Samoa since 2006 and performing valve surgery and congenital procedures, and pacemaker implantations.
Procedures & Conditions
- Adult Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery
- Adult Vascular Surgery
- Adult Cardiac and Lung Transplantation
- Ventricular Assist Device Implantation
- Aortic Surgery Endovascular Techniques
- Valvular Repair Surgery - Aortic and Mitral
- Beating Heart Surgery
- Transplant Surgery - Cardiac and Lung Transplantation
- Trans-Apical Aortic Valve Implantation
- Video-Assisted Lung Resections
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonAuckland City Hospital 2000 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonMercyAscot Mercy Hospital, Mercy Specialist Centre, Epsom, Auckland 2000 - Present
Adult Cardiac & Thoracic Surgery FellowWestmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia 2000
Adult Cardiac Surgery FellowToronto General, Toronto, Canada 1999 - 2000
Adult Cardiac Surgery, Transplant Surgery FellowFreeman Hospital, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne 1998 - 1999
Memberships & Awards
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- International Heart Lung Transplantation Society
- Society of Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Gold Medal in Pharmacology and Obstetrics/Gynaecology
- Prize in Physiology and Surgery
- Return Services League Scholarship, Sydney, Australia
Research & Publications
1. Hepatic-Protography to isolate Metastatis Colonic Cancer. ANZ Surgical Journal 1992.
2. Atrial Septal Aneurysm. Accepted for publication, Asian Pacific Journal.
3. Warm-Heart Surgery in diabetics has superior results. Journal of Scandinavian Cardiovascular Surgery 2001.
4. Tricuspid valve surgery at Greenlane Hospital – A retrospective Analysis. Australian Journal of Surgery. April 2004.
5. Use of Angiomax as anticoagulant in beating heart CABG. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2004.
6. Off-pump CABG in Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura patients. Annals of thoracic surgery July 2004.
7. A novel technique for lowering blood pressure for Endoluminal Graft Stenting using rapid right ventricular pacing. Annals of thoracic surgery 2006.
8. Cardiac Surgery in the Pacific-in publication
9. Acute Ischemic Ventricular Septal Defects-A formidable Surgical Challenge –Heart Lung And Circulation-2010;19:71-74
10. Multicentre International Trial for eSVS (Nitinol Stent as external support for coronary artery vein grafts). Awaiting publication.View More
Long term Survival Difference in males Older than 60 years with Isolated AVR using Intact Medtronic Valve and Homografts. Presented at Annual Cardiac Society Congress-2006.
Endovascular Stent Grafting of Thoracic Aortic Pathology Experience at Greenlane. Presented at Noosa Cardiac Surgery- 2009.