Dr Dominic Parry is a Cardiothoracic surgeon practicing at Dunedin Hospital, Otago, NZ. He enjoys a varied practice and performs on and off-pump coronary artery revascularization, valve repair, and replacement, aortic surgery, transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI), and thoracic surgery.
Dr Parry has completed advanced cardiothoracic surgical training in the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Canada. During his time in Canada, Dr Parry completed a two-year fellowship at the Toronto General Hospital (University of Toronto) and worked at a busy cardiac surgery centre in Hamilton, Ontario for four years (McMaster University). He is a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England/Edinburgh and a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
He is actively involved in surgical training, research and greatly contributes his knowledge and experience to advisory boards and publications.
Dr Parry has a special interest in medical innovation and has collaborated with biomedical engineers on projects for training and novel devices. His current research interest is stroke reduction during surgical procedures.
Additionally, Dr Parry completed a Masters Project at the University of Otago, where he is also a Clinical Senior Lecturer.
Procedures & Conditions
- On and Off Pump Coronary Artery Revascularization
- Valve Repair and Replacement
- Aortic Surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI)
- Adult Structural Heart Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Aortic Pathology
- Lung Cancer
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonDunedin Hospital, Southern District Health Board 2018 - Present
Consultant Cardiothoracic SurgeonMercy Hospital, Dunedin Present
Clinical Senior LecturerUniversity of Otago 2018 - Present
Assistant ProfessorDivision of Cardiac Surgery, McMaster University 2014 - 2018
Clinical Fellow, Chief Clinical Fellow of Cardiac SurgeryUniversity of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital 2012 - 2014
Clinical Fellow, Cardiac SurgeryBristol Heart Institute 2011
Memberships & Awards
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Fellow of the Royal College of Australasian Surgeons
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Australia and New Zealand Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Canadian Society of Cardiac Surgeons
- 2015 - 2017McMaster Surgical Associates New Project Grant. Minimally Invasive Left Ventricular Port Access Closure Device: $29,733.00
- 2013Luis E. Garrido Olivares Award. Cardiovascular Intensive Care Peer Recognition Award, Toronto General Hospital
- 2012Lampe Family Fellowship Clinical Fellow Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Toronto
- 2008TAG Prize Awarded for Best Research Project Presentation, Australasian Society Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference, Noosa, Australia
- 2008Edwards Lifesciences Travelling Scholarship
- 2007Dunedin School of Medicine Dean's Certificate to the Registrar who has shown Commitment and Quality in Teaching
- 2006Dunedin School of Medicine Clinical Research Training Fellowship
- 2005Dunedin Heart Unit Trust Research Scholarship
Research & Publications
1. Decreasing Postoperative Blood Loss by Topical vs. Intravenous Tranexamic Acid in Open Cardiac Surgery (DEPOSITION) study: results of a pilot study. Habbab LM, Hussain S, Power P, Bashir S, Gao P, Semelhago L, VanHelder T, Parry D, Chu V, Lamy A. J Card Surg. 2019 May;34(5):305-311
2. The Ross procedure versus prosthetic and homograft aortic valve replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis. McClure GR, Belley-Cote EP, Um K, Gupta S, Bouhout I, Lortie H, Alraddadi H, Alsagheir A, McIntyre WF, Dorobantu DM, Bossard M, Kim K, Stoica S, Eikelboom J, Ouzounian M, Chu MWA, Parry D, El-Hamamsy I, Whitlock RP. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2018 Jul 31
3. Management of Lower Extremity Ischaemia During Type A Dissection Repair. Howe KL, Harlock J, Parry D. EJVES Short Rep. 2018 Jun 11;39:44-46
4. Hemodynamic outcomes of the Ross procedure versus other aortic valve replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Um KJ, McClure GR, Belley-Cote EP, Gupta S, Bouhout I, Lortie H, Alraddadi H, Alsagheir A, Bossard M, McIntyre WF, Lengyel A, Eikelboom JW, Ouzounian M, Chu MW, Parry D, El-Hamamsy I, Whitlock RP. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2018 Jan 9.
5. Avoiding S3 Valve Over-Sizing by Deployment Balloon Over-Filling: Impact on Rates of Permanent Pacemaker and Other Procedural Complications During TAVR. Sheth T, Natarajan MK, Kreatsoulas C, Whitlock R, Parry D, Chu V, Smith A, Velianou JL. J Invasive Cardiol. 2018 Jan;30(1):23-27.
6. Mini-thoracotomy vs. conventional sternotomy mitral valve surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Al Otaibi A, Gupta S, Belley-Cote EP, Alsagheir A, Spence J, Parry D, Whitlock RP. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2017 Jun;58(3):489-496.
7. Ascending aortic elongation is a predictor of aortic dissection. Alsagheir A, Munce N, Patlas M, Farrokhyar F, Parry D. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2016 Oct32(10) Supplement 1:S113-S114
8. Short and Long Term Outcomes of Surgery for Patients with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Parry D, Raskin R, Poynter J, Ribero I, Bajona P, Rakowski H, Woo A, Ralph Edwards A. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2015 Apr;99(4):1213-9.
9. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation and Left Ventricular Assist Device: a word of caution. Parry D, Rao V, Butany, J, Catrip J, Wilson, W, McDonald, M, Billia P, Horlick E, Cusimano R. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2014 Feb;97(2):e41-2
10. Cardiac arrest secondary to sudden LVAD failure in the setting of aortic valve fusion successfully managed with emergent transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Wilson W, Goldraich L, Parry D, Cusimano R, Rao V, Horlick E. International Journal of Cardiology 2014 Feb 1;171(2):e40-1.
11. Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer Comes Good? Parry D, Smart S, Stubbs S, Winburn I, Harrison J, Sammut I. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2010;19:498-9 (Abstract)
12. Expanding Saphenous Vein Graft Aneurysm treated with Endovascular Coiling. Parry D, Winburn I, Wilkins G, Bunton RW. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2005 Dec;80(6);2374-6
13. Comparison of Risk Sratification Models for Cardiac Surgery in South New Zealand. Parry D, Winburn I, Popadich A, Bunton RW. ANZ Journal of Surgery Vol 75 (Suppl.) A39 2005 May.
14. The use of a moulded metacarpal brace versus neighbour strapping for fractures of the little finger metacarpal neck. Harding IJ, Parry DJ and Barrington RL. Journal of Hand Surgery – British Volume. 26(3):261-3, 2001 Jun.
15. Let’s lose the tie. Lintott P, Parry D. Journal of Hospital Infection. 48(1):81-2, 2001 May.View More
- Pacemaker Lead Extraction. Presentation at the Postgraduate program of the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Oct 23, 2016.
- Aortic Stenosis – TAVR Workshop: Case Presentations, Decision Process and When to Refer for SAVR vs TAVR Panel Discussion at Hamilton Health Sciences Cardiology Update 2016. Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada. Sep 23, 2016.
- Ischemic Mitral Regurgitation Presentation for members of the Niagara Health System’s regional cardiology program. St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. Feb 10, 2016
- The Surgical Management of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. McMaster University Department of Medicine Cardiology Rounds, January 2015. Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Ischemic MR: Repair, Replace or Leave Alone? Guest speaker at the 12th Annual Toronto Perioperative TEE (Transesophageal Echocardiography) Symposium, Presented by the Department of Anesthesia and Division of Cardiac Surgery, Peter Munk Cardiac Centre, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network. 2014 Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Transcatheter Valve Implantation and Left Ventricular Assist Device. Thoratec MCS National Fellows Program. November 2013
- Barlow’s Valve Case Presentation and Discussion. Edwards Lifesciences Cardiac Fellows Program, Longbeach, Ca, USA. November 2012
- Carbon Monoxide: The silent killer comes good? Australasian Society Cardiothoracic Surgeons Conference, Noosa, Aus. Oct. 2008. Presentation won TAG prize.
- Low dose inhaled carbon monoxide improves left ventricular developed pressure following an ischaemia-reperfusion injury in a rat heart. “Tongariro” Cardiothoracic Conference, Rotorua, NZ April 2008
- Comparison of Risk Stratification Models for Cardiac Surgery in Southern New Zealand. Royal Australasian College Surgeons Annual Scientific Conference, Perth, Aus. 2005.
- An Expanding Saphenous Vein Graft Aneurysm treated with Endovascular Coiling. Royal Australasian College Surgeons Annual Scientific Conference. Melbourne, Aus. 2004.
- On-pump versus off-pump cardiac surgery. Dunedin Heart Foundation Nursing Meeting, NZ 2004.
- Epi-aortic scanning. Dunedin cardiac anaesthesia meeting. Dunedin, NZ 2004
- “A few more wrinkles and the odd arthritic hip.” Tongariro Cardiothoracic Conference, NZ 2004.
- Can freestyle valves be used in endocarditis? Tongariro Cardiothoracic Conference, NZ 2003.